Lee Hom - Heartbeat

Thursday, July 29, 2004

Is it me or religion?

... judge me

It was not until I reached my twenties have I started to think about the function of religion. I am a Buddhist since the day I was born and until now, I still take myself as a Buddhist. I am not a strong believer in religion and yet I sometimes argued with myself on religion.

What have I been arguing with myself on this?

I have been thinking to myself what is the purpose for someone to have a religion? For me, I take it as something that will help in shaping a good me. Religion helps to create or bring out all the good values that a person have. As long as a person have these good values, it doesn't really matter, to that person, what religion they hold in theif life. Be it Islam, Christian, Buddhist or any other religions.

What is my range of "good values"? Values like not to lie, not to steal, not to hurt others, not to kill, and so on will make my list. As long as a particular religion provides these values, I feel that it doesn't really matter what religion that you hold. Well, some might realise that the above stated good values are actually the basics that each fellow Buddhist would learn. However, I do not imply that other religion does not teaches these.

... since I am a Buddhist, just bare with me.

For me, history of a religion is not that important. The value of that religion that is what I treasured. The teaching and reasoning is important to me while the person who discovered, reasoned out or taught it is not important. Because of this, I find myself unable to remember the names of these great teachers of the past. My sincere apology to them.

However, I am afraid that this is just an excuse for myself to not participate fully to a religion.

As a side reading...
I had an experience where one of my friends invited me to join them on a Christian event. Well, I did go and there, I found them to be joyful and full of happiness. I felt happy for them too. And at that moment, most of the outsiders might have the feeling that these people will try to convert me to become a Christian. Me, at that moment, is really doubtful and scared that they will actually try persuade me and I really have no real answer to give back to them.

Now, I think I have one... "Well, isn't it good to know that you are happy and joyful? And I am happy and joyful with mine too." - simply mean, you are happy with your religion and I am happy with mine too, so why the trouble to convert as long as we are happy in this world?

I am not trying to say anything about Christianity, but I would just hope that the next time I join one of these events, I won't have that type of feeling of trying to convert me again.

It might be my perception after all.

... is it me or religion?

No comments: