Lee Hom - Heartbeat

Monday, July 12, 2004

Intelligence?

Intelligence, the ability to learn, understand and think in a logical way about things; the ability to do something well.

IQ, or Intelligence Quotient, is a measurement of a person's intelligence that is calculated from the results of special tests. It has been said that people with high IQ will succeed better than those with a low IQ.
But how true is it?

I feel it unfair to use this IQ measurement as an indicator of that person's futures and success. No doubt that, and person with higher IQ will have an advantage against those who has lower IQ. But that does not mean that one is destined to fail in his/her life from the day he/she is born.

But from the definition of the intelligence, itself (see above), it is something that can be learned, and understand.

With this, I started to try to take into consideration of other factors as well. What other intelligence that we might need in order to survive in this world?

The first being the emotional intelligence.

In a book titled, Emotional Intelligence, by Daniel Goleman said, "Emotional intelligence, is the abilities such as, being able to motivate oneself and persist in the face of frustration, to regulate one's mode and keep distress from swamping the ability to think, to empathize and to hope."

The author continues, "While there are those who argued that IQ cannot be changed much by experience or education, ..., crucial emotional competencies can indeed be learned and improved upon by children - if we bother to teach them."

At least, these statements brings hope to those, including myself, who found themselves have low IQ scores.

The second being the financial intelligence.

I got to know this term from another book entitled, Rich Dad Poor Dad, by Robert Kiyosaki. From the author definition and the way I understand it, being financially literate means that you can handle your financial problems rationally, and able to provide solution to your everyday financial problems. This requires us to understand what is actually happening in this world.

The ability to turn a sum of amount to a larger amount is a type of test for financial intelligence. The ability to command your money to work for you instead of you working for money is also another type of test for financial intelligence, and so the list will continue. These abilities will together sum up as your financial quotient.

My point is, our brain is the most important "asset" to us and we should make good use of it. This brain of ours is the part that will decide whether we are successful or not in the future. Although some might have been defeated by the IQ, but that doesn't mean much to our future.

The good point is that we can learn from time to time to increase our intelligence.

8 comments:

Wenniemy said...

Hi Hi Kyoko san here.
Just to say hi lo,
Because my lecturer blog have your blog,
so mah take a look.
How to be friend with you,
actually I already know anald.
haha see you.

gotenks said...

Hi Kyoko-san,

How are you?
Sure we can be friends anytime, without any special requirements... =)

One thing I would like to know... who is your "lecturer"?

And another thing... I don't think that your real name is "Kyoko"... just because I think that no Japanese will introduce themself with the word "san" after their name.

Basically, they will just say "Hi, I am Kyoko"... =)

Hope to know more about you...

Later!!

ashotiwoth said...

The lecturer = Ho Nee Shen.. :D
he lectures in Han Chiang College some time back, now i think he's working somewhere else...

gotenks said...

oic...
so Nee Shen is (or was) the lecturer... =)

Wenniemy said...

Hi Hi I am Wennie.
Yes lah,my name is Wennie,
but normal I like the name dohmoto kyoko.
so that I mah use it lo.
Nice to meet you.
NeeShen's friend.
Welcome have a look.
http://wenniemy.blogspot.com

gotenks said...

Wennie,

Ooh... I have visited your blog, looks good... at least special.

can teach me how can I change my post to include other colors like red? i mean the wordings...

But do Japanese have people with the surname "Dohmoto"? I have not met any up to now...

By the way, allow me to introduce myself,
my name is Wing Meng.
japanese name is: nagaaki =)
yoroshiku onegai shimasu.

Wenniemy said...

So sad about My cutie lecturer cannot see me as a friend,
but anyway I still want be his friend.
The color can change on the number aslike #000000 is black.
You can try it on place template,
change the code lo.then preview.
List up the color you want the code.
I find the code to you.

gotenks said...

Wennie,

thanks for your instructions/steps, but i still couldn't get to do what i wanted to...

before this, i have actually tried what you have suggested, but nothing happenned... therefore, i asked you to see if i have did anything wrong or not... =(

your cutie lecturer? although he is no longer your lecturer, but since he is still in Penang, therefore don't worry so much, anything will come out right... you will be able to meet with him...
just keep bothering him with phone calls!! =)