Lee Hom - Heartbeat

Monday, August 02, 2004

Another round on fireworks...

A better fireworks

Two weeks ago, I blogged about a disappointed fireworks viewing experience. Last Saturday, my friend, Maiko, suggested another fireworks event held in Asakusa, Tokyo. For this one, it fired 15000 shots every year! About two times more than that disappointed one.

This time, we don't have to do any early planning like booking a place to view the fireworks as we will be going to her ex-boss's house to watch the fireworks directly from the roof of the building. Yes, no more trees or any other structures that will block our viewing pleasure.

A BBQ before the fireworks

At the roof of the building, already there were a BBQ party taking place. Before the fireworks started, they ate, and drank with the food that they have bought while talking. We joined the party, however, I was a bit quiet at that time, since I couldn't get what most of them have said and I couldn't express well what I wanted to say, in Japanese.

Suddenly, I was told by Maiko that there is a person who wished to practice talking in English and so she introduced that person to me. Finally, I started talking...

And the fireworks starts

At around 7:30pm (or 1930 in military time), the fireworks started with its first official shot. However, that was not the first shot because there have been a few pre-shots before the official start of the fireworks. At that time, most of the eating and drinking as well as talking stopped and we shifted our attention to the fireworks.

At the same time, a few hundred meters away from that fireworks spot, another official fireworks shot being freed to the air. Yes, there were actually two fireworks spot on that day, happening at the same time with the same amount of shots - 15000 shots.

Knowing the rough amount of Japanese yen being spent on these fireworks, I tried my best to appreciate the design of the fireworks more. Yup, with that mode switched on, I started to have a feeling of thanks and appreciation to those people who prepared the fireworks. I start to understand that the skill in arranging the powder, to produce different fireworks shape, color, etc... are not that easy.

I start to wonder how much effort have been put into producing the phoenix-shaped? firework in the movie Lord Of The Rings - The fellowship of the ring. Ohh, I forgot, it might be a computer graphics's effect.

A lost of concentration

While it was good to be able to see both the fireworks at the same time, I felt a lost of concentration while watching the fireworks. At one time, this one place shot brilliant fireworks, and at other time, the other place did the same. My head kept switching from A to B and B to A.

I know I am complaining too much, and some might wish to kill me instantly...

In between the time, someone walked near with a cup of sake. Well, it wasn't a Japanese sake but a Chinese sake from China. I could tell you instantly that from the smell of that sake, I don't feel like tasting it. However, I did. Just as expected, I wouldn't wish to taste for the second time after that. That sake is just too strong as it instantly makes your body feels hot at the first sip of it. Although Japanese sake also gives the same effect, but I could just say that this Chinese sake is far more stronger.

From then onwards, everytime the wind blew taking with it the smell of that sake into my nose, I will feel sick of it.

The afterwords

After both of the firework events have ended, there was another small event for us. A congratulating event to those who have just gotten married, and those who will be getting married soon.

After the announcement and hand claps, a small cake cutting ceremony completed that day. Then, ice-cream cakes were being distributed to us, but wait I didn't get my share. When the person who distributed the ice-cream cakes walked near to me, I was about to hand out my hands to receive the ice-cream cake, but... phew, luckily I didn't. Well, as a matter of fact, all the males did not get their shares. It was meant for the females to share theirs to the males. I wonder what that means... ;-)

Did I get my share?... さあ~

That meeting ended and we headed home. Reached my apartment at around 1:15am the next day, which is Sunday.

No comments: