Lee Hom - Heartbeat

Monday, October 12, 2009

2002 - The worst year in my life... Part 1

Yesterday night, I messed up with my biological clock and made myself unable to fall asleep for almost the whole night. During these hours, I recalled a lot of memories from the past, especially those memories that had happened in 2002 - third and final year in USM, Penang.

The memories involved two persons that's important to me, in a way.

1) My Best Friend

I get to know him for less than two years but we did a lot of things together ever since I get to know him in my second year in USM. We were in the same course and get to know each other when we formed a group for a course project. From then onwards, we were in the same group for most of the course projects. Our friendship built up fast that soon, we became best friend. It was also from this friendship that I get to know another person that I will talk about on the next paragraph.

At one point, somewhere between end of second and third year, something happened that changed our friendship. I would say a "mole" (person) has dropped into our friendship and intervened or changed everything. I was also to blame to simply let this "mole" manipulated me. Come to think of it, what the "mole" said was actually not really anything to be worried about as it was really not a big deal. However, I will skip this details.

The relationship turned sour when we started our final year project together - the mole, him, and me. Because of something that the "mole" warned me, it has put me on guard of him (my best friend) when dealing with the project. However, come to think of it, it really isn't anything that one should reacted like how I have reacted.

That aside, things became worse on the day of our final year project demonstration. The night before the demonstration, I made a modification for our project, and I passed the code to reflect the changes made to him in order for his module to suit the modified parts. When I passed the code to him, I did remember that I asked him to try and check this out to make sure that it's working fine. Since I still have a test to take on the next morning (the day of our demonstration), I did not follow up on that matter after passing the code to him and continue with my revision for the test.

The next day, I went for the test and came back to get ready for the demonstration. When I met with him, I was surprised, he openly yelled at me saying that the code that I passed to him didn't work. I understand the yelling as the frustration is there since we are in the final hour before the demonstration. However, I wasn't the one to be blamed, I did ask him to try out the code to make sure everything is working fine, and that was yesterday night. He has the whole night to try that out.

What happened then was he switched back to the old code and his part of the module was working fine. However, from then onwards, our friendship was completely broken into pieces. We never talk after that morning. It was indeed a saddest thing to me.

With that, it registered in my history as something important that I have lost in my life! If I can have another chance to mend the relationship, I will do whatever I could. Even my family members wished that we could mend our relationship but... sigh

No comments: